Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Typical Day

This is my typical day. In no way is this intended to be funny as my typical days are typically not funny.

8:20 - My phone alarm goes off. A piercing sound called "single tone 8". I reach out from the covers and hit some button that makes the sound go away. I roll over and shut my eyes.

8:22 - I wake up to the sensation of sand paper rubbing against my face. My first reaction is anger because I realize that this is Mo, my cat, who disrupted my sleep throughout the previous night by laying on my head or biting my back. As my thoughts become more clear I understand that I have slept past my alarm and that Mo has saved me from oversleeping my class. I thank Mo and feel proud to have a cat as smart as Lassie.

8:28 - I start to make breakfast. This morning it's a cheese omelet with hash browns, an apple and coffee. Mo claws at my leg during the whole process. The hash browns burn as I'm digging around in the refrigerator for the sliced ham which I decide is no longer fresh. (I had previously made a ham and cheese omelet with ham that was past it's expiration date. It tasted like alcohol. Now I am very paranoid about the freshness of my ham.) I throw out the ham.

8:35 - Breakfast is served. With enough pepper and ketchup I can make the hash browns taste good. I turn on the t.v. and watch MSNBC. Some jagoff is telling me about what Hilliry Clinton has to talk about at the Democratic National Convention. I hope she was watching.

8:43 - I wash the dishes and pans. Mo falls out of the window by pressing on the screen which is apparently not secured. I rush outside and find him sitting below the window, stunned. It was only a two foot fall, so he's fine.

9:00 - Shower, brush my teeth... shave? No, not today, or for the next 5 days.

9:24 - Getting dressed is an important part of my day now that I'm at law school. What I wear sends a message which can distinguish me from my fellow students. A gray t-shirt and jeans will do.

9:26 - Sit on the couch and relax. Mo chews on my toes.

9:30 - I leave for my first day of 9:40 class. It's about a three minute walk so I'll be there with plenty of time to get a good seat.

9:35 - I walk into class. There has to be a seat in there somewhere. Not paying attention to faces, only looking for that last empty spot I head to the back row and find it.

9:40-11:00 - Class begins. I'm the guy with the runny nose and no kleenex.

11:10 - I get home and watch some T.V. This is my first experience of watching John Hagee. He tells me that "Jesus wasn't no limp wristed peace lover," to make a point that he would support the war in Iraq. I don't know if it's his words or the thousands of people in his mega church nodding along with a smile, but I think I hate John Hagee.

11:25 - I make a turkey sandwich. The turkey is still fresh.

11:30-12:20 - T.V.

12:21 - I leave for class. This time I'm not making the same mistake. This time I'm getting a good spot.

12:30 - I get a good spot

12:40-3:10 - Class. I get to tell my story of how Evan and I went to a Bob Dylan concert with Richard the Hobo.

3:15-6:33 - Reading in the library. I'm pretty sure that the squeaks and rumbles coming from my stomach as it is still trying to digest my turkey sandwich are annoying everyone on the same floor.

6:45 - Supper. Mac a Roni and Cheese with peanut butter bread. Delicious.

7:07 - Surf the tubes. Mindlessly refresh and flip through facebook pages. I listen to the Johnny Cash "At Folsom Prison" album. He was pretty bad ass. I track my package. It's in Lexington.

7:55 - I play with Mo. He could chase that feathery yellow thing on the end of a stick all day. But I can't shake it as long. My arm gets tired.

8:06 - I watch some speeches on C-SPAN. No one actually present at the speech is paying attention. Some dude is taking pictures of his surroundings with a camera phone. Others are gathered in circles talking amongst themselves. I don't blame them. This lady sucks.

9:01 - I receive/send a text from/to Tim. Everything is running smoothly back home.

10:00 - The Daily Show

10:30 - The Colbert Report

10:35 - Not feeling it. I go to bed
THANKS

No comments: