Sunday, August 17, 2008

An Embarrassing Situation

If there is one thing I hope to accomplish through this blog, it’s to help someone. By writing about my insecurities maybe someone will find inspiration to overcome their own, and in turn help me. Many times I find myself in situations where I would be expected to assert myself and many times I fail to meet those expectations. For example, most people, while dining at a restaurant would return their meal if what was placed in front of them wasn’t what they ordered. I find it much easier to avoid the conflict and choke down whatever chance meal I was given. It doesn’t matter if I ordered a hamburger and received a chicken wrap. Sacrificing my own desires for convenience I go with the chicken wrap.
The other day I was standing in line at the Hy-Vee meat counter. I was planning on buying a boneless chicken breast while all of a sudden the man in front of me ordered two boneless “mesquite marinated” chicken breasts. I didn’t see the mesquite option earlier and now that they had been brought to my attention they were all I could think about. I had to have one. There was only one problem. The guy who just ordered what I now wanted was still standing by me. Surely I couldn’t order the same thing as him. He would think I was weird. The meat counter guy started wrapping up the original marinated guys chicken breast. Ah ha! Once the chicken guy gets his package from the meat counter guy he’d start walking away. I could stall my order until I was sure he was out of hearing range then I could whisper my order, just to be safe, to the employee and no one would be the wiser. A flawless plan, foiled only by a second meat counter guy. While “mesquite marinade” was still getting his chicken wrapped up, Johnny Come Lately comes lately out of left field and asks to take my order. I didn’t see him earlier. I was not prepared for this. I panicked. That day I left Hy-Vee with two bratwurst, two organ meat casings of disappointment.
THANKS

No comments: